Tuesday, October 03, 2006

kindness

I spent most of the weekend driving around Utah in a gigantic, old, gray truck. It was really great. But I don't think it got very good gas mileage. In fact, I think I pretty certainly overestimated the gas mileage I was getting. I think this because late Monday afternoon, after not driving particularly far after putting gas into it, the car sputtered to a stop on the highway. I wasn't really in the mood for this, especially considering that the weather was starting to get a little wet. I think that it was karma though, because I have a tendancy to drive around on empty for inordinate amounts of time, and I haven't run out of gas in about 10 months, so it was probably just my time again. Anyway, I started walking along the freeway and watching the cars go by, and I didn't even have time to consider being upset or annoyed at my situation, becuase within 2 minutes a nice old guy pulled over and offered me a ride. He took me to the gas station, waited for me while I filled up a gas can, and then drove me all the way back to the truck and waited to make sure I got out of there allright. He probably didn't know how grateful I was, but I was so glad to have someone helping me. It wasn't really about the trouble of walking a couple of miles, but much more about knowing that someone was there when I needed it. I'm not sure if the help came so quickly because I was in utah, or because I looked particularly needy (due to the old, broken looking truck i'm sure), or what, but whatever the case, sometimes a person's kindness just means a lot and deserves at least a blog post.

3 Comments:

Blogger Klobas said...

In Utah again? You my friend, have a problem.

2:50 PM  
Blogger james said...

i know. i think i've had my share for a while. but i'll probably go back for conference again in april.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you would have done the same thing.

especially if that person had dancing skills like me....

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home