Sunday, September 24, 2006

swank

Last night I went to a swanky party. I mean, it was a church thing, but it was about as swanky as any church thing has ever been. It was on the roof of a 50 story building in midtown. The building was super nice and luxurious and all, but the cool thing was the view. All the city skyline on one side, then the river and the huge houses on the shore on the other side. It was hard to hold conversations with people because I was so set on staring off into the distance. I'll probably never live in a place like that because I don't think I could justify the cost, so I'm glad I at least got to check it out for a night.

On a related note; church here is different. I've been here for six weeks and I've only seen my bishop once, and certainly never spoken with him. There are a lot of people, and everyone is nice, but the social scene is hard to navigate. One thing is that there aren't that many guys in the ward. The ratio is something like 3 to 1 girls to guys. It's a lot different from home where going to church was just like hanging out for three hours with my guy friends. Here I feel like I'm at a fashion show. Also, I'm definitely one of the younger people there. I guess that's just part of being here though. None of this is to say that church isn't enjoyable here. It's great, and some of the talks have been really powerful. But its a big change from the comfortable solano ward that i'm used to.

3 Comments:

Blogger EssicaJay said...

3 to 1? You should merge with our ward! Except for the whole long distance thing.

11:08 PM  
Blogger HornInFBb said...

I bet all those diferences will make the ward really fun and interesting, once you get a better feel for it.

9:46 AM  
Blogger james said...

chrissy,
yeah you're right. i do like the ward. its just different. there are a lot of good things that i didn't mention, just because the weird things are more noticable and make for more interesting blogging.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home